Human Rights Specialist – P02
|Type of Appointment:||Series A - Short Term|
|Duration of Contract:||12 months|
|Secretary/Department/Off.:||IACHR - Executive Secretariat - Precautionary Measures Section|
|Duty Station:||US - Washington D.C.|
|Job Family:||Human Rights Commission|
|Job Category:||Professionals and Higher Categories|
|Employment Schedule:||Full time|
|# of Openings:||1|
Annual Basic Salary (net of taxes):
Annual Post Adjustment (net of taxes):
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Apply the individual petition system governed by the Inter-American human rights instruments, jurisprudence and international normative standards;
* Organize, coordinate and participates in on site visits conducted by the Commission: develops draft program of activities; manages logistical arrangements; facilitates meetings between Commission members and Government officials, representatives of local non-governmental organizations and other groups, such as alleged victims and their relatives, drafts reports and recommendations for publication pending Commission approval;
* Advise petitioners and member state Mission or Foreign Ministry staff on the application of petition procedures and other aspects of the inter-American human rights system, and responds to all inquiries made by member states on matters related to human rights;
* Provide technical advisory services for other organs or agencies of the Organization, in relation to drafting and implementation of juridical international instruments in the field of human rights;
* Participate in the different stages of the processing of the petitions at the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights;
* Engage in promotional activities such as seminars and conferences on human rights issues;
* Perform other job-related duties as required.
WITHIN THE INITIAL STUDY SECTION:
* Apply the individual petition system governed by the inter-American human rights instruments, initially assessing the processing complaints per month received against Member States and applying relevant procedures.
* Prepare draft consultations for the IACHR consideration and provide technical assistance to the IACHR in their deliberations.
* Request information from the parties to fully develop the claims, manages case correspondence, conducts legal research, and analyze claims according to the pertinent systemic norms.
WITHIN THE ADMISSIBILITY SECTION:
* Apply the individual petition system governed by the inter-American human rights instruments, initially assessing the admissibility of complaints received against member states;
* Participate in the preparation of draft admissibility and inadmissibility reports for the IACHR consideration;
WITHIN THE CASES SECTION:
* Coordinate case hearings, drafts case reports setting forth conclusions and recommendations for Commission review;
* Perform fact finding on numerous situations and cases
* Report approved are either prepared for publication or for presentation as cases before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights;
* Participate in the preparation and presentation of contentious cases and requests for advisory opinions before the Inter-American Court: conducts legal research and analysis, drafts briefs, manages case correspondence, identifies and collects evidence, coordinates the presentation of witnesses, and partakes in the presentation of arguments and witness testimony before the Court;
WITHIN THE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES SECTION:
* Prepare evaluation projects requests for precautionary measures assigned by the Section's Coordinator pursuant to Article 25 of the IACHR's Rules of Procedure;
* Prepare monthly correspondence instructions related to precautionary measures and updating their status in the Section's portfolio;
* Prepare fact sheets for the holding of hearings and working meetings on precautionary measures;
* Prepare draft requests for provisional measures to the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and observations on the implementation of the provisional measures in force;
WITHIN THE FRIENDLY SETTLEMENT SECTION:
* Participate in friendly settlement procedures;
* Prepare requests for information to the parties on matters that are in follow-up stage;
* Prepare logistical arrangements for working meetings or working visits to countries;
* Prepare the preparatory documents, attend the meetings and minutes;
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Essential: Juris Doctor or First University Degree (Bachelor) in Law, International Public Law, Human Rights, Political Science, International Relations or Sociology issued by a duly accredited institution and 4 years of relevant experience in similar positions at the national and/or international level OR Advanced University Degree (Master) in one of the fields listed above and 2 years of relevant experience. Familiarity with human rights, judicial and socio-political issues in member countries.
Desirable: Experience or knowledge of the OAS mandates and priorities as related to the area of work and/or the dynamics of the Inter-American agenda and system.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Ability to effectively work using Microsoft Office (e.g. Outlook, Word, and Excel) and software applicable to the area of work.
Essential – Proficient in at least two of the following languages: English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish (read, write and communicate). Language proficiency examination will be required.
Desirable – Working knowledge of the other two languages.
PERSONAL COMPETENCIES: Client Orientation, Knowledge Sharing, Teamwork, Interpersonal Skills. Ability to clearly communicate in the languages required for the post.
This position requires ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations. Ability to incorporate gender and intercultural perspectives. Ability to work with urgent times, fast reading and analysis skills and impeccable writing skills.
The GS/OAS embraces equality, diversity and inclusion. Thus, the GS/OAS, in accordance with its rules and regulations, is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, achieving a diverse staff, and will take into account a wide geographic representation, as well as gender equity and equality, in the selection of candidates.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results