Shipyard Laborer / Helper / Fire Watch / Cable Puller
General Description – Geodesicx, Inc. is seeking a laborer / helper / fire watch / cable puller to support shipboard maintenance work in Norfolk, VA. Perform general manual labor tasks including running errands, sweeping, loading, lifting, standing fire watches, cable placement and rigging, pulling sheathed cables through ducts and stuffing tubes, and moving equipment / material. Periodically required to lift / move equipment up to and including 50 pounds. Works under direct supervision following clear and detailed instructions. May be assigned the duties and responsibilities of other positions for which qualifications are met.
Specific description of duties:
- To include but are not limited to assisting in storage and staging of various tools / materials; transportation of tools / material to the worksite; loading and unloading vehicles; general cleanup / daily housekeeping; standing fire watch; pulling cable; and heavy lifting of tools / material / equipment. Overtime is routinely required but not guaranteed.
- Perform any other assignments or tasks as needed or requested by management to assist in accomplishing the organization’s mission, objectives and goals.
- Install cables in shipboard cableways using approved methods. This requires the ability to climb ladders, physically pull the cable and knowledge of proper installation methods.
- Possess a demonstrated ability and knowledge of the principles of electricity, electronics, shipboard and/or shore installations and shop supervision.
- Familiar with Shipyard and NAVSEA installation requirements and supporting documentation.
- Ability to work from blueprints, drawings, technical manuals, handbooks and other technical documentation.
- Push long, flexible, steel ribbon (fish tape) or rods through ducts.
- Attaches wire to rod or fish tape and pulls wire through ducts.
- Attaches wire to cable and pull cable through ducts by hand or using winch.
- Properly secure and band cables once pulls are approved.
- Monitor a prescribed area of concern and keeping records of any suspicious or potentially hazardous conditions as required.
- Activate appropriate alarms and promptly contacting emergency response personnel as necessary.
- Use phones and wireless communication devices to share concerns and information with associates as well as people at high-risk locations.
- Ensures, compliance with, the standards and organization requirements relative to specific assignments.
Education / Specialized training
- Minimum education requirement: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a basic understanding of standard power tools and possess the ability to read / follow simple instructions.
- Prior experience working on ships and in shipyards is a plus.
- OSHA 10 Hours Maritime and NAVSEA Cableway, Connector and Fiber Certifications are preferred.
- Excellent vision is essential.
- Attention to detail observing using all senses and multiple methods; eyes, smell, closed-circuit cameras and monitoring remote alarm and security systems is a required skill.
- Excellent communication abilities to inform the fire watch person who takes over the next shift of any abnormalities or concerns that need close observation.
- Lift heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
- Work at heights up to 50 feet above the deck using proper safety equipment.
- Must be able to pass background check for access to Shipyards and/or Naval Bases.