This is a leadership role in the overall development and management of a growing CM group in the Southern California region (Los Angeles County and Orange County). This position reports to the CM Department Director. The successful candidate will conduct business development, establish new contacts, maintain existing clients, market CM projects, and accept responsibility as Resident Engineer of CM projects.
Additional duties include, independently performing comprehensive construction management and contract administration on a variety of complex public works construction projects. Represents Cannon before public agencies, consultants, and contractors. Supports all activities associated with construction management, contract administration, contract planning/execution, contractors scheduling review and analysis, change order management, interaction with utility companies, coordination of materials and soils testing, coordination of special inspections, and oversight with field inspection and observation functions as required. Performs inspections, manages staff inspectors, and coordinates services between departments. Establish new contacts and maintain existing clients.
- Performs construction management of public works projects such as roadway construction (new roads, overlay, widening), earthwork, drainage, pipelines, water/wastewater facilities, municipal and transportation structures, and signalized intersections, and electrical.
- Analyzes and implements solutions to complex construction problems and contract issues.
- Negotiates, organizes, and maintains thorough and up-to-date project records and claims documentation.
- Conducts business development and creates proposals and presentations.
- Primary point of contact with clients and approving agencies.
- Supervises and mentors inspection and construction management work of junior engineers.
- Uses technical knowledge to furnish comprehensive constructability analysis and review of construction documents.
- Develops and implements construction management plans for complex civil projects.
- Maintains scopes, budgets, and schedules for assignments.
- Schedules and manages construction engineering, inspection, observations services, and administration staff as needed.
- Reviews drawings and project submittals for conformance with contract documents.
- Coordinates sub consultant activities such as materials testing, and construction staking.
- Prepares, negotiates, and implements Contract Change Orders effectively.
- Communicates effectively with various departments, clients, and regulatory agencies.
- Meets with contractors to plan and coordinate work, resolve issues related to work areas, scheduling, sequencing, operations, budgets/payments, and other contract labor compliance and administrative manners.
- Performs reviews and implementation of CPM Schedule.
- Conducts meetings, including Pre-construction Conference and Weekly Progress meetings.
- Performs calculations of construction item quantities.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- 10+ years of experience in Construction Management and Civil Engineering.
- California P.E. license in Civil Engineering required.
- Experience in management of client relationships.
- Experience expanding CM services.
- Must have experience coordination with public utility agencies, i.e. PG&E, AT&T, Charter, SoCal Gas, etc.
- Must have experience coordination with government agencies, i.e. Caltrans, RWQCB, Army Corps, Fish and Game, etc.
- Must have existing contacts and relationships within public works agencies in Orange County area.
- Knowledge and experience in construction safety.
- Knowledge and experience in earthwork, grading, drainage construction, streets, roads, and transportation structures. (Caltrans experience a plus).
- Knowledge and experience in water/sewer/storm drain infrastructure construction and in traffic control within the construction zone.
- Knowledge and experience with the implementation of State and Federal funding provisions, water regulations, and document coordination.
- Knowledge and experience in Prevailing Wage requirements and compliance.
- Valid, clean driver’s license as regular daily travel is required.
- Proficient in the use of MS Word and MS Excel.
- Proficiency in use of Construction Management Documentation Software (such as Procore, EADocs, etc.) a plus.
- Proficiency in CPM Project Scheduling software (MS Project, Primavera, Suretrak, etc.) a plus.