Responsible for examining plans of commercial, industrial and single and multi-family projects to determine conformance with California State and/or County (LA, OC, RIV, and SB Counties) and City codes and ordinances. Performs professional duties involving the review and checking of improvement plans, including but not limited to, site grading, street, storm drain, sewer, water, erosion control and reports, including but not limited to, Hydrology and Hydraulics, WQMP, LID, SWPPP, etc.
Possesses communication and technical writing skills and can operate independently with minimal supervision. Is capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to projects.
- Reviews engineering plans, reports, and supporting calculations submitted for residential, commercial, and industrial developments to ensure compliance with building codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Reviews plans for sound engineering practices.
- Checks for accuracy of design in conformance with City Standards and Check Lists, including site accessibility, constructability / clarity and maintenance.
- Coordinates plan review activities with Senior Plan Check Engineer and potentially coordinates with City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies, developers, and engineers.
- Checks general mathematics and design criteria.
- Attends, as needed, staff meetings.
- As needed, performs record keeping and documentation of plan check reviews.
- Supports the Senior Plan Check Engineer to answer questions from engineers, architects, developers, contractors and the general public regarding City regulations and policies.
- Conducts field inspections as necessary; investigate field problems affecting property owners, contractors and maintenance operations.
- Coordinates with Senior Plan Check Engineer to evaluate potential re-design of any portion of plans that:
- Will not function due to poor engineering
- Is not consistent with the Approved Tentative Map, other Approved Plans or Conditions of Approval
- Will be potentially unsafe to the public
- Is impractical to construction
- Reviews and has general understanding that plan check services shall be performed in conformance with the most current version of the following documents and standards:
- Conditions of Approval and Title Reports
- City Master Plans
- Municipal Code
- Grading Ordinance and Grading Plan Check Requirements
- California Building Code Standards related to site accessibility / ADA compliance
- Low Impact Development
- APWA Standard Plans and Standard Specifications (Greenbook) for improvements in public R/W
- Approved Specific Plans, Site Plans, Environmental Documents, and/or Tentative and Final Maps
- Grants, easements, or vacations as applicable
- Traverse, Lot and Tract Boundary Closures for final or parcel maps Subdivision Map Act
- Establishes and maintains and promotes positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, the general public, contractors and design professionals.
- Works independently and as a team member; recognizes and sets priorities and meets deadlines.
- Monitors and updates plan check log on a weekly basis in Microsoft Excel.
- May perform plan check reviews via staff augmentation role at a public agency, including but not limited to providing counter services for municipalities, permit processing, intake and distribution of plan submittals to various departments, etc
Qualifications and Skills
- Requires 5+ years experiencing in civil engineering industry.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years’ experience as a plan checker reviewing plans and reports for development projects or capital improvement projects.
- Candidate must be familiar with computer operation (MS Office, Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam Revu). It is highly desirable that the individual have knowledge of computer assisted engineering and design software.
- Maintains a high level of understanding of departmental design standards, applicable engineering codes and policies, guidelines and standards.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates initiative and exercises good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Professional appearance and interaction.
- Successful completion of EIT exam; California PE is preferred.