With over 100 offices and nearly 5,000 associates throughout the U.S. CBIZ (NYSE: CBZ) delivers top-level financial and employee business services to organizations of all sizes, as well as individual clients, by providing national-caliber expertise combined with highly personalized service delivered at the local level.
CBIZ has been honored to be the recipient of several national recognitions:
This role reports directly to Chief Information Officer and has seven direct reports and 20 total staff reporting to it.
Essential Functions and Primary Duties:
• Budget: $5 million for applications, tools, services and staffing (permanent and temporary).
• Staff: 20 permanent together with supervisory responsibility for third-party resources supporting application activity.
• Applications: Enterprise business applications supporting 5000 end users, as well as other applications that specifically support individual business units. There are a small number of internally developed on platforms mostly written in the Microsoft .NET framework. Most of the applications are packaged and include a mix of on premise and cloud-based applications, including Oracle HCM and Financials, Planful (Host Analytics), Salesforce, etc. There are also numerous packages applications that are used to support the various business units.
• Data Services: Management of corporate master data, data warehouse, and Business Intelligence environment. Management of our middleware environment which includes over 50 interfaces and automation solutions that provide integration between various custom built and packaged applications.
Leadership and Management-
The Director, Application and Data Services will oversee all activities that optimize the value, cost and risk of applications:
• Provide leadership, vision and direction to the applications organization to ensure it will contribute to the company achieving its goals.
• Work with CIO and other IT leaders to develop overall IT strategy in the context of the business strategy.
• Develop productive relationships with business leaders across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
• Define and enhance methodologies and practices for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
• Ensure that applications processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate technical policies and applicable standards and legislation.
• Manage application group personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
• Implement and manage application life cycle management status reporting, metrics and benchmarks.
• Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organization.
Application Governance, Strategy and Delivery-
The Director, Application and Data Services is primary responsibility is to ensure the application, integration, automation, and analytical solutions cost-effectively meet the needs of the business as a whole by:
• Overseeing the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application portfolio and their associated costs and risks.
• Facilitating the application governance process to gain consensus on a prioritized set of measurable business outcomes that solutions must support.
• Working with stakeholders and the application governance council to define a prioritized set of business outcomes and application work to accomplish those outcomes within the limitations of the application budget.
• Working with stakeholders to accomplish this application work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
• Overseeing the application organization's successful delivery of these business outcomes in partnership with business colleagues.
• Overseeing benefits realization to ensure that business outcomes are achieved.
• Overseeing support activities in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to ensure the applications perform well in production.
• Working with the IT Security and Compliance team to ensure that the organization's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
Budgeting, Finance and Administration-
The Director, Application and Data Services will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the application organization (including staffing, budgeting and other relevant management functions) and is required to hold all application delivery teams accountable for optimizing the cost, risk and value of applications throughout their life cycle.
This job is located at our Corporate Headquarters office in Independence, Ohio. The role may require occasional travel of up to 15%.
Behaviors and Competencies-
The Director, Application and Data Services acts in a leadership role and must demonstrate the following leadership attributes:
• High levels of personal integrity when conducting the professional affairs of the organization and dealing with sensitive and confidential data relating to risks and costs.
• Calmness and clarity of thought while under pressure.
• The ability to uphold the goals and culture of the organization.
• The ability to lead, enable and motivate teams by providing advice and guidance in a nonjudgmental fashion.
• An understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
• Openness to, and the ability to deal with, rapid change in business needs, processes and technologies.
Education and Training-
• An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer science, engineering, finance, business management or a related field.
• Graduate or specialty degree preferred
The Director, Application and Data Services must be able to demonstrate the following:
• Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
• Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
• Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
• Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and management of multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
• Strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in process formulation and improvement.
The Director, Application and Data Services must have in-depth knowledge and experience of the following:
• Financial accounting and reporting practices applicable to applications, costs and risks.
• IT contracts and their likely cost implications.
• Engagement with procurement and legal contract advisors for additional information.
• IT applications, operations, service and support organizations.
• Data processing, analysis and quality management tools.
• Development and implementation of processes and policies.
• Large-scale application implementations.
• Implementation of enterprise application/data architecture and business intelligence solutions.
• Application integration.
The following experience is considered essential:
• Managing a team of at least ten members in application development, implementation or management.
• Ten years of experience in software design/development, application architecture, project management, software integration, data management/governance, business intelligence, security and/or business process analysis.
• Ten years of demonstrated leadership experience building cross-organizational consensus with exposure to technology providers and/or business clients.
• Ten years of demonstrated experience managing a high-performing, cohesive team.
• Five years of demonstrated experience in liaising with middle and senior management.
The following experience is considered desirable but not mandatory:
• Experience with the following application suites: Oracle Cloud ERP, Salesforce.
• Experience with the Microsoft .NET framework
• Experience working in the accounting, benefits, or insurances industries.
• Experience in managing external IT service providers.
• Membership of professional organizations, trade or user groups and a pattern of regular attendance at industry conferences to enhance knowledge of current technology.
This is a sensitive role dealing with commercial risks and significant costs. The organization must have a high level of confidence in the integrity and track record of the individual appointed to this role.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 8 years experience
• 6 years supervisory experience
• Ability to manage deadlines, work on multiple assignments and prioritize each assignment as necessary
• Proficient use of applicable technology
• Demonstrated ability to communicate verbally and in writing throughout all levels of organization, both internally and externally
CBIZ.Jobs Category: Corporate
If you are a qualified individual with a disability you may request reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access this site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by calling 844-558-1414 (toll free) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CBIZ is an equal opportunity employer and reviews applications for employment without regard to the applicant’s race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity, marital status, military status, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or medical condition or any other reason prohibited by law. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please visit these following pages EEO is the Law and EEO is the Law Supplement.