Currency Development Technologist
Do you want to work alongside world-class engineers, scientists, and technologists developing highly secure banknotes that integrate cutting-edge security features? Are you interested in how a material’s fundamental properties affect real world performance of a product? At Crane, outstanding opportunities exist for enthusiastic professionals with experience in product development, manufacturing and industrial Research & Development. In this Currency Development position, you will use your unrelenting drive, highly-tuned analytical skills and data-centric decision making process to understand problems and find reproducible solutions that deliver reliable and trusted performance to banknote currencies around the world.
Teamwork is Currency at Crane
Crane Currency is now looking for a dedicated Currency Development Technologist to be part of our R&D Team in Dalton, MA. This position will serve as a first-line, technical resource.
Additionally, a solid capability to plan and execute projects is critical. This position will be leading cross-functional teams through project completion while using stage-gate project processes to ensure that all deliverables are met in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner with an emphasis on quality. This includes development, scale-up and commercialization efforts of new technologies in the areas of paper making and security features integration. This position is expected to achieve this objective by contributing effectively on an individual basis as well as working as part of the project team, and can expect the following skills and abilities to be a critical part of the role:
- Identifying and evaluating new technologies in areas of currency paper as well as integrating security features in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines for deliverables
- Apply analytical skills, problem-solving skills and experience to efficiently develop and scale up robust new processes and product.
- Provide strong customer service response and technical support to marketing, sales, product management and other areas of the business where technical expertise is needed
- Apply sound basic knowledge of safety and environmental related issues during the execution of projects
- Coordinate with paper mill on development, scale-up and validation trials on new products and product modifications
- An advanced degree in physical science or engineering (e.g., Paper Science & Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering) with progressive industrial experience in R&D, product development, process engineering or manufacturing with an emphasis in process/product development to meet or exceed at least one of the following requirements;
- Bachelor’s Degree and a min. of 5 yrs. Exp.
- Master’s degree with a min. 3 yrs. Exp.; OR, PhD with at least 2 yrs. Exp.
- Must be an analytical, data-driven decision maker with a strong drive to understand materials and process interactions and a desire to tune them to produce robust products
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage research projects as well as guide and influence multifunctional teams through thoughtful facilitation and creative idea exchange in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Proven track record of providing data-centric technical recommendations that drive business growth through reliable processes that produce products reproducibly with minimized variation
- Proficient verbal & written communication skills with the ability to explain complex scenarios clearly within cross-functional teams
- Experience with continuous processes, papermaking, physical and analytical property testing, Six Sigma, Lean principles and stage gate processes are pluses
Applicants must be United States citizens. The person selected for this position will need to demonstrate suitability for employment in a position of Public Trust consistent with our US Government contract requirements.
- A Post Graduate degree from accredited college/university
- A PhD in paper and pulp sciences/chemistry or engineering
- Process and product development within continuous processes
- Experience in Paper/pulp, Materials Development or Process Industry
- Physical and analytical property testing, Six Sigma, Lean principles and stage gate processes
- Be a creative, self-starter regularly applying your development experience, critical thinking, analytical skills, and statistical and project management tools to efficiently conceptualize, develop, and scale-up robust new processes and products
- Identify and evaluate new technologies in the currency substrate arena as well as security feature/substrate integration methodologies through data analysis of laboratory-based chemical and process manipulations and materials testing including new test method development.
- Coordinate development, scale-up, and validation of new products and product modifications within highly motivated multifunctional teams.
- Provide strong customer service and technical support to marketing, sales, product management and other areas of the business where technical expertise is valued
- Expert with analytical, trouble shooting skills and practical user of statistical tools
- Ability to lead the processes like FMEA to mitigate product and process risk (Project risk)
- Ability to design experiment and run trials to be efficient in the development of process and products
- Up to 20% travel may be required
Invest your time in Currency! Crane Currency is a fully integrated supplier of banknotes for more than 50 central banks from all over the world, as well as a pioneer in advanced micro-optics technology. We are proud to have been named "Banknote and Currency Services Provider of the Year" for 2017 by Central Banking Publications, for our cutting-edge security features and state-of-the-art designs. We are a pioneer in advanced micro-optics and paper technology for securing banknotes, offering features that do not exist elsewhere. A dynamic culture, a team environment, exceptional people, best-in-class technology—all have contributed to the amazing success and vibrant growth at Crane.
Crane offers a competitive benefits package to full-time employees, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, a 401k match and more. Qualified candidates are invited to apply via our careers page at www.careersatcrane.com.
Crane is a Drug Free Workplace.
Crane Currency is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer M/F/Vet/Disab
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.