The Director, Global R&D is responsible for leading the multi-national organization in the development of new products and product enhancements to be utilized in banknotes, banknote paper, and anti-counterfeit security features. Evaluates the potential and practicality of products in development and relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. This position requires exercising independent judgment to perform the responsibilities. This individual works in collaboration with other functions including Product Management, Sales, and Operations as well as other cross-functional business unit stakeholders to ensure that customer needs and contractual commitments are met. This position requires exercising a high-level of independent judgment and technical knowledge to perform the responsibilities in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, goal-oriented work environment. This individual will report into the Global Markets, Product Growth & U.S. Government, and will have site R&D leader direct reports in Nashua, NH, Dalton, MA and Alpharetta, GA, as well as the leader of the Program Management Office.
Leadership and Team Development
- Oversees the development of new products and lead a team of functional and site managers spanning three US and two international sites.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams made up of product management, marketing, R&D, operations, sales, and finance.
- Leads Development teams and provide mentoring for all levels of team members.
- Strengthens an organizational bench of chemists, chemical engineers, process engineers, systems engineers, materials scientists, designers, software engineers, and optics individuals, through organizational development, mentoring, and training programs.
- Establish and lead the investigation of root cause analysis of high priority problem issues; implements processes to reduce the risk of similar issues in the future.
- Supports production in challenging issues.
- Utilizes a stage gated development framework to develop new products that meet product requirements, quality, manufacturability, cost, and time-to-market goals.
- Oversees key projects, and enhances processes and performance reports, data and analysis.
- Provides strategic thinking and a demonstrated ability to provide and articulate the future vision for Product Development.
- Originates new product ideas in concert with customer needs and business model.
- Establishes direction, goals and processes for each part of the Product Development teams
- Collaborates with Supply Chain and/or directly with third party vendors to ensure that the vendor's strategic direction is in alignment with the organization's direction.
Project and Budget Management
- Track record of driving high performance product and teams globally.
- Leads team in determining what resources are necessary to successfully complete development projects.
- Communicates current and future status as it relates to current and future projects and direction related to each project.
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and accountability for projects and annual budget.
- Excellent general management, leadership, and project management skills.
- Ability to understand technical issues and understand impact on projects, and effectively communicate these issues and impact to direct reports as well as other project stakeholders.
- Advanced/Expert in product development with a broad technical knowledge in all aspects of the product development life cycle.
- Respond to Request for Proposals and technical questionnaires from potential clients.
- Bachelor’s degree, in General Science, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering or similar discipline. Master’s or PhD degree preferred.
- 10 Yrs. Progressive experience in a large-scale, technical product development environment
- 7 Yrs. demonstrated successful history leading and managing a product development team through full product deployment from research to successful product delivery.
- 5 Yrs. As a Director of R&D leading a team in a fast-paced manufacturing environment desired.
- Multi-site leadership experience a plus.
- Strong project management skills demonstrating the ability to push projects over the finish line with sound planning and persistent execution. Understands how to align resources, seek the input of key stakeholders, and manage others to achieve desired results.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Clear process orientation with a demonstrated ability to develop repeatable processes or improve existing processes in and out of product development.
- Strong Leadership and Team building Skills with an open and collaborative style. Must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and foster product innovation environment and develop products to meet and exceed customer expectations through a high level of energy and enthusiasm and a willingness to be held accountable and hold others accountable.
- Excellent communication skills in gathering and disseminating information to leadership, marketing, business partners, and customers. Effectively communicates with and engages all levels of the organization verbally and in writing. Translates technical decisions/strategies into business terms and implications. Produces clear, understandable documentation geared for all audiences.
- Allocates time and resources efficiently even if priorities change. Continually seeks ways to improve individual/team efficiency and demonstrates the ability to be effective within a matrix environment.
- Understands the business and the impacts of Intellectual Property organization on the operation.
- Exhibits a strong bias for action with a results-orientation. Addresses tough problems with firm deadlines.
- Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends in the industry, including all relevant areas of information systems that might be incorporated as new technologies into future systems.
- Collaborates with sales, marketing, technical operations, product management, and other departments to determine competitiveness of new technologies and to develop new products.
- Customer service oriented with flexibility in terms of dealing with changing priorities and leading multiple high-visibility projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, teamwork and problem-solving skills in order to deal with customers, business partners, staff and management from a variety of skill levels as well as different authority levels.
- Willingness and capability to travel freely locally and internationally to meet with Customers, and to attend; Company meetings, vendor presentations, technical seminars or any other event off-site or at other locations as required to meet the requirements of this position.
Applicants must be United States citizens. The person selected for this position will need to demonstrate suitability for employment in a position of Public Trust consistent with our US Government contract requirements.
Crane is a Drug Free Workplace
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Vet/Disab