Quality of Work
- Accountant assists the Accounting Manager with the preparation of the month end financial close.
- Always ensures standard and non-standard journal entries/accruals are prepared accurately and timely.
- Meets daily and communicates with the Accounting Manager on the progress of the month end close to ensure timely completion.
- Submits all journal entries to CFO for approval and records maintenance.
- Prepares and maintains MMHS’s statistics and FTE report.
- Always prepares the reports in an accurate and timely manner to give the Accounting Manager and CFO.
- Reviews the results of the statistics and FTE report for material variances and reports findings to the Accounting Manager and CFO.
- Analyzes material variances and works with appropriate department manager to justify the discrepancy.
- Prepares and completes all assigned balance sheet accounts prior to month end close; if not possible, reconciles account(s) prior to the next month end close.
- Analyzes balance sheet accounts for accuracy and ensures proper application of generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP) are applied to all associated journal entries.
- Researches potential reconciliation entries and reviews findings with Accounting Manager and recommend solution to ensure reconciliation problem is appropriately addressed to minimize recurrence of problem.
- Submits adjusted JE entry to resolve reconciling item.
- Ensures non-reconciled items are addressed and corrected within a 60-day time period from month of original entry and with approval of the Accounting Manager.
- Assures fixed asset sub ledger system reconciles to the month end balances of MMHS’s fixed asset accounts.
- Prepares all journal entries to accurately record the month end depreciation expense.
- Reconciles all fixed asset accounts and ensures CIP accounts are recorded timely and accurately.
- Ensures all fixed asset purchases meet the standards as documented in MMHS’s capitalization policy.
- Ensures all CIP projects are closed in a timely manner and depreciation expense is accurately recorded.
- When necessary, back-up staff position during daily or short-term absences and train existing staff in developing them as primary back-up.
- Identify all critical functions required to be performed during the period of absence by the staff person not present.
- Assess the manpower needs with the Accounting Manager and discuss strategic resolutions to cover the staff person’s absence.
- Develop the remaining staff as potential back-up to cover future occurrences of required coverage.
- Demonstrate general knowledge and application of GAAP.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities to ensure timely and accurate completion of responsible assignments.
- Display problem solving skills and present recommendations to Accounting Manager to address problems or areas of weakness.
- Display high awareness of internal controls. Identify areas of weakness or improvement with a plan to address/improve internal control weaknesses.
- Display the computer skills necessary to complete the work as outlined in this job description.
- Manage time efficiently and adjust time accordingly to address non-anticipated events in any given work day.
Judgment and Decision Making
- Uses proper tact and discretion in handling inquiries from management regarding financial conditions/activities.
- Follows the MMHS and department policies in providing financial information to other MMHS personnel and outside organizations.
- Consistently applies appropriate accounting principles and internal control standards in preparing financial statements and coordinating the maintenance of financial/accounting records.
- Consistently exercises sound judgment and analysis in reconciling accounts, reviewing general ledger and account balance information, and responding to Hospital managers’ inquiries regarding financial data.
- Consistently recognizes significant fluctuations in account balances and reports to appropriate managers on their probably causes and implications.
- Protects the confidentiality of MMHS’s financial information in accordance with established policies and guidelines.
- Seeks guidance and direction as necessary for the successful completion of job duties; asks appropriate questions when in doubt.
- Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation from a variety of perspectives. Consider several alternatives and choose the most appropriate course of action.
Relationships with Others
- Consistently demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers in the completion of daily tasks or special projects to support the department’s efficiency.
- Consistently provides timely and accurate information to Hospital managers regarding financial conditions/activity and related matters.
- Responds to the Accounting Manager and the CFO’s request(s) for information in a timely and courteous manner.
- Consistently responds to requests from the auditors for financial statements, reports, procedures manuals and related information in a timely and courteous manner.
- Inspires confidence from co-workers, superiors, and Hospital managers by performing and communicating in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Consistently provides cooperation and assistance to data processing personnel, as requested, in the preparation of financial reports.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the maintenance of positive and effective working relationships with other MMHS departments.
- Maintains respect for confidential information.
- Consistently addresses patients, visitors, and co-workers in a pleasant and respectful manner; displays courtesy at all times.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communications skills; documents and reports clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrates an ability to work effectively with all levels of staff; enjoys working and interacting with people.
- Works well with supervisors and those in positions of authority.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent is highly desirable.
Work Experience: 3-years’ experience performing major cash and payroll reconciliations and system maintenance of management reporting systems strongly recommended.
Skill Requirements: Accurate typing skills and familiarity with standard business machines.
Licensing Requirements: None
Language Requirements: Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit up to 6 hours and stand/walk up to 2 hours. Must be able to lift and push between 10 and 50 pounds. Must be able to use hands repetitively for 6 hours or more.
Special Demands: Developed skills in communication (interpersonal), analysis and organization or demonstrated potential. Ability to maintain concentration and a positive professional demeanor in a demanding environment with potential for conflict. Working knowledge of federal and state regulations as they pertain to reimbursement.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.