YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to Connect BC proudly to the World. Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 14 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness! And we’re looking for someone to join our team.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Vancouver Airport Authority strives for a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We support the Employment Equity Act and take measures to ensure fair employment practices and treatment of employees across our organization. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We encourage applicants to self-identify with a designated group(s) to support our team in filling gaps in areas where we can be more diverse. We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out the reasons that make us a Top Employer at: https://canadastop100.com/bc/.
Join our team of health and safety professionals as we continue to improve and build our world class culture of health, safety and wellbeing.
We have a permanent full-time Safety Advisor position available in the Health and Safety Department. Reporting to the Director, Health and Safety, the successful candidate is a proactive health and safety professional looking to use their health and safety management and auditing experience to enhance and continually improve the Airport Authority’s health and safety management systems.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing proactive and leading-edge health and safety programs to ensure a safe and healthy environment, which includes conducting inspections, risk assessments, internal audits of programs and practices, and incident investigations
- Managing and continually improving a comprehensive contractor safety management program, which includes pre-qualification, project specific risk management and safety compliance oversight
- Managing a robust building related hazardous materials program and processes, including liaising with capital project teams, airport partners and tenants
- Overseeing organizational safety metrics, data analytics and health and safety management technology tools
- Developing and sustaining cooperative working relationships at all levels while overseeing programs such as Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, Ergonomics, and Employee Health & Safety Onboarding
- Managing multiple priorities, such as overseeing day-to-day health and safety management issues, conducting indoor environmental quality and other exposure assessments and liaising with business partners, tenants and airlines on health and safety issues
Key qualifications include:
- Three to five years’ of recent related progressive experience, supplemented by a university degree in health and safety or a related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH) designation (or suitable experience and education to attain one or all of the designations)
- Demonstrated experience in executing and operating successful health and safety programs and management systems
- Experience in developing and leading contractor safety management programs
- Understanding of and expertise in industrial hygiene and exposure assessment principles and practices
- Demonstrated experience with broad based occupational health and safety support in the identification, assessment and control of health and safety risks
- Thorough knowledge of federal and provincial regulations governing occupational health and safety
- Exceptional communication skills, especially presentation and evidence of strong relationship-building skills
- Team player
- Proven ability to use judgment and make sound decisions as well as multitask effectively with an assertive leadership style while remaining calm under pressure
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates may be required to take part in a management assessment process.
Health and safety are at the core of how we operate at YVR. We are committed to ensuring a safe workplace for our workforce and protecting the health and safety of our employees, passengers, partners and community by taking reasonable, preventative measures to reduce the risks associated with COVID-19. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a valid exemption is granted for those unable to be vaccinated.