Assistant Professor - Tenure Track and Program Director
College of Education and Health Sciences
The department of Health and Sport Sciences in the College of Education and Health Sciences is currently seeking a full-time faculty tenure track Assistant Professor position in Health Education who will also serve as Program Director starting Fall 2021. This faculty position is subject to financial factors to be determined by the Board of Trustees at the March 2021 meeting.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in initial and advanced teacher certification such as health education methods, K-12 health promotion, school health programs and policies, WSCC model, research and technology in health education, contemporary health issues, and health content courses.
- Advise and mentor students.
- Provide service to school, university and community.
- Establish or continue a research line within health education, health promotion or a related field.
- The Program Director is responsible for ongoing program implementation and evaluation; for collaborating with the Chair and faculty of the department of Health and Sport Sciences and with the Dean and faculty of the College of Education and Health Sciences to assure a state of the art curriculum and foster interdisciplinary approaches for supporting in student recruitment and retention efforts in collaboration with the University.
- Earned terminal degree in Health Education or a related field.
- Administrative experience as well as experience with accreditation, teacher certification, edTPA, and student teaching are preferred.
- Experience teaching pedagogy courses
- Experience teaching online and integration of technology into teaching is preferred.
- A track record of scholarship and service should be commensurate with rank.
- Academic experiences (teaching, scholarship and/or service) with culturally diverse populations.
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, a current CV, a statement on research, a teaching philosophy, and two letters of reference. Research statements and teaching philosophy should identify ways in which the candidate can fulfill needs within the current program, but also will help the program grow in new directions.
- Review of applications will begin upon receipt of application with the search continuing until the position is filled. Interviews will begin immediately.
- Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
- Direct any inquiries to the chair of the search committee, Associate Professor and Program Director, Health Studies: Jean Harris, Ph.D. Phone: 516-877-4273, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected research and teaching university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
Adelphi University is the premiere institution in Health Education Teaching Preparation on Long Island. The Health Studies Program currently offers an MA in Health Education for in-service and pre-service educators, Advanced Certificates in School Health Education and Community Health Promotion, and an MA in Community Health Promotion. A recently developed 4 + 1 program allows students to earn a BS in Physical Education and an MA in Health Education in 5 years with many health courses completed during the initial four-year period and included in undergraduate tuition. The programs are housed in the department of Health and Sport Sciences in the College of Education and Health Sciences. The department also offers undergraduate programs in Exercise Science, Physical Activity Studies, and Sport Management as well as graduate programs in Exercise Science, Nutrition, Physical Education and Sport Management. These academic programs prepare practitioners, administrators, researchers and leaders within all relevant career fields. http://education-ehps.adelphi.edu/.
The College of Education and Health Sciences at Adelphi University, home to the department of Health and Sport Sciences is one of the paramount institutions in the preparation of practitioners and leaders in education and allied human service fields. For further information about the college and the department, go to http://education.adelphi.edu/.