This is an environment unlike anything in the high-tech world and the secret of Costco’s success is its culture. The value Costco puts on its employees is well documented in articles from a variety of publishers including Bloomberg and Forbes. Our employees and our members come FIRST. Costco is well known for its generosity and community service and has won many awards for its philanthropy. The company joins with its employees to take an active role in volunteering by sponsoring many opportunities to help others. In 2018, Costco contributed over $39 million to organizations such as United Way and Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.
Costco IT is responsible for the technical future of Costco Wholesale, the second largest retailer in the world with wholesale operations in twelve countries. Despite our size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family, employee centric atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed. As proof, Costco consistently ranks in the top five of Forbes “America’s Best Employers”.
The role of the Server Hardware Engineer will be to perform work necessary to maintain an enterprise server infrastructure in multiple data centers with the primary focus on the UCS/x86 platforms. This person will be responsible for labs, Q/A, Disaster Recovery, High Availability and Production environments. This person will provide planning, documentation, and support for all environments as appropriate and with the appropriate sense of urgency. This person will configure and maintain the physical and logical layouts of the hardware. The Server Hardware Engineer will ensure a high degree of focus on quality; neatness and process control to ensure proper change control processes take place for any change being made to the hardware platforms.
If you want to be a part of one of the BEST “to work for” companies in the world, simply apply and let your career be reimagined.
- Engineers, plans, installs, configures, tests, supports, and maintains hardware configurations for Unified Computing Systems (UCS) and x86 systems.
- Partners with internal support teams and 3rd party vendors to support and implement tools.
- Maintains architectural artifacts pertaining to the environment, including drawings, data flow diagrams, and comprehensive support documentation.
- Manages growth and performance of the systems.
- Creates and runs reports relating to performance and capacity planning.
- Manages the hardware management code base and coordinate upgrades, patches and configuration changes as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains operational processes to maintain the performance and health of the environment.
- Contributes to the solutions of application teams across the organization.
- Experience building/configuring enterprise class compute systems.
- Excellent and proven problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail (organized, methodical). Proven history of keeping hardware configurations clean, neat and straight.
- Excellent documentation skills and strong sense for the importance of quality documentation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work effectively, in groups or independently, and deliver exceptional results with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, self-motivated, responsible, conscientious, and detail oriented.
- Able to work well under stress and handle crisis situations professionally.
- Able to work weekends, nights and holidays as required and provide on call support as needed.
- Able to travel occasionally to support 2nd data center location as necessary.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent formal training and experience.
- Experience with x86 and Cisco Unified Computing System.
- Experience with Unix, AIX and/or i5/OS basic Operating system commands.
- Experience with enterprise class virtualization, such as VMWare, UCS, vBlock, PowerVM.
- Experience with infrastructure engineering practices in an Agile environment.
California applicants, please click here to review the Costco Applicant Privacy Notice.
Apart from any religious or disability considerations, open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas.