LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
This role is available at either Mississauga or North York (Yonge & Finch)
What can you expect in this role?
Economical’s in-house claims litigation unit acts in litigation arising from claims under its insurance policies. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing litigation team with excellent opportunities for strategic input and professional development.
- Act in litigation from inception through to trial via carriage of multiple files
- Prepare written court materials, appear in court and advise on litigation strategies at the case level
- Play an advisory role to Economical’s Claims department in relation to claims litigation
What do you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law as a lawyer in Ontario
- 2-7 years of post-call experience working in insurance litigation, ideally with trial experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and PowerPoint
- High degree of personal ethics, integrity and responsibility with an ability to deal with sensitive issues and safeguard confidential information
- Assertiveness in practice, but reasonable and forthright
- Interest in court advocacy, especially arbitration work
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills across a range of contexts
- Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills with a proven capability for effective presentation tools/methods
- Sound judgment, with the ability to critically analyze situations, problem-solve, and deal with ambiguity and can provide meaningful advice and recommendations
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple, yet sometimes conflicting priorities
- Team player, adaptable to a changing environment
- This role requires successful clearance of a background check and disciplinary action check
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.