Corporate Law Clerk
LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
The Corporate Law Clerk will provide support on various governance, regulatory and corporate matters for Economical Insurance.
• Coordinate board, committee and policyholder/shareholder meetings and assisting with the preparation of required material
• Administration and maintenance of minute books, licensing files and corporate records for Economical and all of its subsidiaries
• Corresponding with provincial and federal financial institution regulators concerning corporate licensing and related matters
• Assisting with SEDAR and SEDI filings, contingent upon Economical becoming a public company
• Preparing necessary forms and documents for required filing such as annual returns, notices of change and miscellaneous corporate forms
• Drafting a variety of corporate documents, including corporate minutes, resolutions, notices, etc.
• Assisting with preparation of simple corporate and commercial agreements, including non-disclosure agreements and routine contracts
• Preparing documentation for corporate incorporations, amendments, amalgamations, dissolutions and extra-provincial filings
• Ordering and interpreting corporate search reports, business name registrations, etc.
• Involvement in a variety of special projects
• Ongoing communication and co-ordination with internal partners
What do you bring to the role?
• Minimum 4 years experience as a corporate law clerk within a Canadian financial institution, law firm or public company
• A post-secondary degree in a related field from a recognized institution
• Expert knowledge of preparation of corporate minutes and maintenance of minute books
• Previous experience in the corporate secretarial function department for a Canadian financial institution, and/or public company, is a highly-desirable asset
• Experience conducting due diligence reviews of corporate records
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of SEDAR, SEDI and/or OSFI filing processes would be an asset
• Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written exchanges
• Ability to effectively liaise with external and internal clients at all levels regarding needs and requests
• Ability to maintain a composed and confident attitude while working in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision
• Ability to work on confidential matters professionally with discretion
• Ability to manage timelines, adhere to schedules and manage processes
• A keen attention to detail
• Ability to analyze and interpret information contained in business related documents, write reports and business correspondence, and effectively organize, relay and present detailed information
• Ability to reflect a positive and professional image of the company at all times
• Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
• Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
• Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
• Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
• Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
• Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
• Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
• An unlimited employee referral bonus program
• Flexible work schedule
• Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.