Senior Specialist, Surety
LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
- Directly reporting to the VP of Surety, the Senior Surety Specialist role is unique in that they will be a key talent required to manage the day-to-day requirements of their overall portfolio of relationships as well as the complete underwriter of their portfolio of existing and new accounts.
- Managing and developing new and existing broker relationships by utilizing authority to support or decline bid bonds, agreements to bond and final bonds from a diverse contract and commercial surety portfolio within the empowered authority
- Analysis of quarterly, semiannual and annual financial u/w and overall status of all accounts within assigned portfolio in accordance with department policies and procedures
- Provide monthly updates to Director and VP surety relating to existing portfolio activity, new business metrics, market intel, marketing and relationship planning, and other as deemed necessary
- Build and attract broker and client relationships that typically follow these high-level individual experts within the industry
- Expected to lend expertise to team relating to their expert background in commercial surety as well as larger mid-market business
- Role includes 1- 2 days travelling to sites/ clients/ contractors. etc
What do you bring to the role?
- 8+ years of Surety Industry experience
- Ability to analyze financial, legal, credit and construction data and provide high quality underwriting recommendations to support bid bond, agreements to bond and final bonds for existing book of clients based on quarterly/semiannual and annual reporting
- Able to provide expert level decision making ability and precise surety advice and direction when negotiating and approving daily bond requests.
- Responsible for existing book including periodic underwriting audits and assisting with any financial/legal/claims related analysis
- Provide underwriting assistance and back up as necessary as well as be available to assist with decision making process for all reporting staff
- Execute on new business plan with a high level of autonomy, execute on strategy to attract and retain new brokers and clients, seek out new opportunities via broker, client and industry functions and marketing related activities
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter. .
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.