Quality Engineer, Data & Analytics
LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people — and its customers — and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
What can you expect in this role?
- Ensure comprehensive test coverage by creating well-structured test plans and test cases
- Design and develop manual & automation scripts
- Responsible for finding, isolating, documenting, tracking, and regressing defects through the QE process utilizing a bug tracking tool effectively
- Work with testing data: seeding, masking, synthetic data generation
- Work with Big data platform to validate data ingestion, ETL, data integrity, data analytical reports etc.
- Analyze ongoing requirements to ensure quality delivery, aligned with business goals and enterprise and Technology Solutions (TS) standards.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders across business and technology teams seeking opportunities to improve quality of delivery and demonstrate commitment to operational excellence for all deliverables.
- Estimate testing effort working with other team members and set priorities following risk-based testing approach
- Create and run query’s using Hue to meet business needs
- Create and review test cases; Report test results and highlight any potential quality risks
- To accelerate product delivery through test automation.
- Assess risk with projects delivery quality, identify and execute risk mitigation plans
What do you bring to the role?
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- 5+ years’ experience in Quality engineering
- Proven experience within the Insurance Industry
- Experience in Guidewire will be an asset
- 3+ years’ experience in technical area of specialty, specifically SQL and Cloudera Data Stack (Hue, Hive, Impala, Hbase) or similar data platform
- Strong ability to analyze the business and user requirements and translate them into testing deliverables such as testing data, SQL query and expected results
- Strong ability to develop test plans and running analysis on testing results
- Experience in data ingestion, ETL testing, data integrity testing, testing RESTful APIs
- Experience in financial data reporting such as GL, Pentaho reporting or Cognos reporting
- Experience on CI/CD, Collaboration and DevOps tool set such as Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Jenkins etc.
- Experience in one object-oriented programming language such as Java, C++ or C# with experience in development and maintenance of Test Automation Frameworks / Test Harness
- Experience of Agile software development practice and methodologies
- Goal oriented; must be able to remove roadblocks and deliver goals
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to quickly and easily adapt to change
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns — participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document. The posting will close at midnight on the deadline date; in order to successfully apply, please ensure your application is submitted by 11:59 p.m. the day before the deadline.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.