Director, Corporate Communications
As Director of Corporate Communications for a NYSE-listed, $4 billion revenue publicly traded company with approximately 2,700 employees around the world, this role is responsible for managing effective communications to internal and external stakeholders, building Trinseo’s reputation and brand, and driving company initiatives and corporate priorities through effective communications. This individual will be a team player who is excited to strategically develop and flawlessly execute communications initiatives to support our fast-growing organization. The incumbent manages CEO/executive communications, media relations, crisis communications, and other internal and external communications for the company, including partnering with Investor Relations to develop investor communications.
The Corporate Communications Leader has a team of 2 and reports to the Director of Investor Relations and Corporate Development Finance and is located in Berwyn, PA.
- For the company globally, develop and implement media relations strategies and concepts to gain positive news coverage for the company.
- Handle media inquiries and serve as spokesperson for the company.
- Oversee the media training program and presentation skills training for leaders and deliver training workshops.
- Possess a strong understanding of the company’s business strategies and priorities and leverages that knowledge to design and execute internal communication campaigns that clearly and consistently communicate the company’s strategic goals and vision to the global employee base.
- Guides development and execution of a strategy for internal corporate communications (executive leadership updates, news stories, special projects) that aligns with the company’s priorities and advances the desired culture.
- Advises on strategic change initiatives, and develops and executes communication plans that drive increased understanding and support among employees.
- Writes ongoing executive messages to relay and reinforce the company’s strategic initiatives.
- Oversee CEO messaging and videos to employees, CEO global town halls, HR and other functional communications, and Intranet content development.
- Work with the MarCom Leader and Digital Communications Manager to pull through the above responsibilities digitally. This includes overall ownership of the company’s website as well as the company’s intranet.
- Promote the corporate identity, brand and image.
- Own and manage the corporate identity guidelines for the company, and set the tone globally for the consistent application of brand guidelines in visual design and tone.
- Partner with the Investor Relations department to broaden awareness and interest in the company among the investment community, including investors, banks, sell-side analysts and financial media.
- Manage communications channels with investors, including the website investors.trinseo.com, and all financial-related news releases as well as the company’s annual report.
- Helps to guide crisis communications, including developing preparedness plans for challenging issues, reputation and crisis situations, providing support on crisis communication scenarios.
- Run the annual Crisis Drill with executive management, developing new scenarios each year and facilitating training workshops.
- Manage internal and external communications during any company crisis.
- Direct and manage the global Volunteer Days program, the company’s signature community relations event.
- Oversee employees who manage United Way initiatives in the U.S. and ad hoc volunteer activities in Berwyn.
- Work with project leads on engagement of and updates to key stakeholders regarding progress, problems, and solutions.
- Lead communications to facilitate awareness, adoption and advocacy among internal and external stakeholders.
Bachelor’s of Arts or Science Degree.
- At least 12 years of experience in corporate communications, public relations or investor relations, in roles with progressing responsibility and ownership.
- Solid track record of designing and managing external communications programs and media relations programs in a business-to-business (B2B) company.
- Works directly with and serves as a trusted advisor to senior leadership team on communication strategy and execution.
- Experience working with and communicating to multiple stakeholders on behalf of the company – including investors and financial analysts, employees, communities, news media, and customers.
- Coaching CEOs and senior executives on communications and conducting media training for company spokespeople to prepare them to give interviews.
- Strong skills in messaging and theme development – including excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- Strategic thinking and planning: can convert a challenge or situation into a communications plan/strategy to drive organizational objectives and build a positive reputation.
- Experience as the company spokesperson with the media for routine news and crises.
- Proactive development of relationships with stakeholders globally and across functions, demonstrating excellence in strategic and operational planning through times of change; M&A experience is a plus.
- Agency management: experience managing significant budgets and directing creative agencies including PR firms, graphic designers, internet/intranet vendors, etc.
- Global awareness with international perspective, and proven ability to work productively with colleagues in other regions.
- Proven coordination across multi-disciplinary teams in times of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- A natural writer, narrative creator and storyteller, with experience leading a team of communications professionals.