Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Candidate is responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive environmental, health, and safety (EH&S) programs and procedures for ensuring the well-being of the Institute community. With a strong background in the sciences assist the Institute community by providing consultation, evaluations, and, hazard assessments to reduce or eliminate workplace conditions that may lead to injury or loss of Institute resources. Leverages on expertise to develop and conduct safety related training for research and campus communities. Through regular facility inspections and/or injury-site investigations, identifies occupational health issues and formulates measures for mitigating workplace hazards. May serve as an Institute liaison to OSHA, EPA, AQMD, etc. and support various designated divisions/departments and their respective safety committees as assigned
– Under general direction, works on complex projects/programs and defines objectives for developing, implementing, and maintaining programs, systems and procedures necessary to ensure the overall safety and health of employees and thee campus community
– Evaluates operational needs and industry EH&S standards to construct and launch programs that complement the Institute's operational framework and mission
– Applies specialized technical knowledge of processes, procedures, and equipment used in monitoring and auditing EH&S conditions; recommends enhancements to existing programs to improve the evaluation process and workplace conditions
– Performs complex investigative/technical work in a wide range of EH&S issues to effect and maintain institute compliance with all internal and external EH&S protocols and requirements; works with one or more operational areas, including biological and chemical research safety laboratories activities and DEA controlled substances
– Relies on expertise and strong solution-providing skills to conduct risk assessments and implement risk mitigation strategies in service of the research community
– Performs technical and administrative duties in general safety, industrial hygiene, research safety (biological and chemical safety), research compliance, emergency preparedness and response, environmental and waste management
– Develops and/or delivers employee training, emergency preparedness and quality assurance programs
– Advises operations in the construction of work areas to minimize hazards and risk of pathogen exposure; oversees and training programs
– Provides guidance to less experienced personnel working with EH&S matters; serves as consultant to various division/department committees on EH&S matters
– Ensures that safety training, emergency preparedness, and loss control programs comply with external standards in content and annual scheduling; involved in crisis management when situations or emergencies arise
– Maintains accountability of assigned areas and provides functional direction and/or training in application of occupational health, compliance and safety programs
– Serves as first responder to Institute incidents; evaluates data from workplace investigations to recommend improvements and/or solutions
– Keep current with EH&S practitioners and/or organizations to ensure regulatory interpretation, technical advice, Institute policies are in compliance
– Performs other duties as assigned
– Masters degree in a relevant science discipline, with at least 5 years of professional experience in a comprehensive environmental, health and safety program
– Working knowledge of academic compliance committees (IBC, IACUC), NIH guidelines for work with recombinant DNA, DEA controlled substances licensing requirements
– Physical Demands: The selected candidate will be required to stand and walk for moderate periods of time; lift and carry up to 30 lbs of tools and equipment; needs to have the ability to wear a respirator and other protective equipment when working under hazardous conditions
– Environmental Conditions: The selected candidate will enter research laboratory settings replete with various hazardous materials, including biohazardous and radioactive material
– Protective equipment qualified to use: Gloves, respirators, lab coat, coveralls, and SCBA
– PhD degree, with 3 years of professional experience in a comprehensive environmental, health and safety program, preferably in a university setting
– Credentials: CSP, RBP
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at firstname.lastname@example.org.