DAP is a leading manufacturer and supplier of Polyurethane, Latex, Silicone and Epoxy products for DIY and Professional Applications for insulation, sealant, adhesive, caulks, glazing, spackling, etc. You'll find DAP products in the hands of professional insulation material distributors, professional painters, remodelers, builders and do-it-yourselfers, and in 60,000 retail outlets, ranging from home centers and mass merchandisers to your local hardware and paint stores. DAP's eight manufacturing and distribution facilities in the United States of America and Canada service North America and the world. The “DAP Stars" represent its 775 strong associates around the world which support its vision to produce and market America's best home repair products. DAP has twice been voted one of “Baltimore’s Best Places to Work”! Learn more about DAP’s history, culture and benefits at www.dap.com/careers/careers.aspx.
As a Lab Technician, you will support the efforts to research and develop new technologies, to assist in new product development, and to provide testing and analytical support and development. This position reports to the Director of Technology. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work under supervision on projects that require extensive research, novel technology review and qualification, analytical and mechanical testing development, and evaluation for potential new applications;
- Conduct hands-on bench work to evaluate products and technology using DAP, industrial, national, and/or international standards and test methods:
- Assist senior technical staff to develop test methods for existing and new products and technology;
- Provide testing support for technology feasibility assessment and benchmarking;
- Enter new raw materials and formulation data into the laboratory database systems;
- Record experimental data in laboratory notebooks providing the objective, test method, observations, and results;
- Perform analytical and mechanical property tests and summarize data per industry standards and internally developed test methods;
- Follow all laboratory safety and housekeeping requirements;
- Use power cutting equipment, such as table saws, radial arm saws, band saws, and similar equipment to make assemblies to test formulated products
- Assist with maintaining and calibrating laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Specialty training beyond high school diploma in a science related field and preferably work towards a B.S. in Science with course completion in organic chemistry and chemistry lab;
- Previous hands-on bench experience with chemistry ;
- Preferably some familiarity with various analytical techniques: wet chemistry, titrations, microscopy, rheology, thermal analysis, tensile testing, etc.;
- Ability to work with many types of chemistry both hazardous and non-hazardous;
- Ability to operate lab scale mixing equipment, analytical and mechanical property test apparatus as well as product application equipments;
- A passion for chemistry, science, problem solving, and creativity;
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills;
- A strong self-motivated work ethic and a keen interest in learning from others.