DAP is a leading manufacturer and supplier of home repair and construction products, including latex caulks, silicone sealants, contact cements, construction adhesives, glues, glazing, spackling, and other general patch and repair products. You'll find DAP products in the hands of professional painters, remodelers, builders and do-it-yourselfers, and in 60,000 retail outlets, ranging from home centers and mass merchandisers to your local hardware and paint stores. DAP's eight manufacturing and distribution facilities in the United States of America and Canada service North America and the world. The “DAP Stars" represent its 775 strong associates around the world which support its vision to produce and market America's best home repair products. DAP has twice been voted one of “Baltimore’s Best Places to Work”! Learn more about DAP’s history, culture and benefits at www.dap.com/careers.
The Chemist will research and develop Polyurethane Foam products for cost saving, performance improvement and technology innovation. The work includes project analysis, risk assessment, formulation and testing strategy, formulation experiment and testing, data processing and project report.
- Evaluate alternate raw materials in DAP formulas either for cost-savings, due to availability issues or required by environmental regulations.
- Conduct testing and trouble-shooting process for manufacturing issues, process improvement, specification development or verifications, alternative packages, etc.
Technical Services Support
- Test complaint samples submitted by Tech Services Dept. for verification. Communicate results via e-mail system.
ISO 9001 Quality Management and Safety Compliance
- Check and calibrate lab equipment on a regular basis. If instruments are out of calibration, return them to the manufacturer for repair. Perform regular duties such as verifying oven and freezer temperatures. Maintain clean and safe work area.
Miscellaneous R&D Related Functions
- Keep detailed records of work performed (lab notebook), write Completion Reports when projects are finished, enter raw materials and formulas into Product Vision.
- Evaluate competitors’ products vs. DAP products in benchmarking projects
New Product Development
- Based on project requests, conduct risk assessment, benchmark testing, formulation/testing strategy, formulation experiment and testing, data analysis and reporting; Periodically communicate the project progress; Prepare plant trial related documentation and conduct plant trial sample evaluation; participate product application at job sites or 3rd party testing labs.
- BS in Science with courses in organic chemistry
- Ability to operate all equipment for mixing, spraying and testing at low pressure polyurethane spray foam lab.
- Ability to conduct testing on various testing equipment or instruments following proper procedures and standards;
- Ability to work with hazardous materials and pressurized containers.
- 3-5 years' of relevant experience
- Some travel required