Purpose / Objective
The overall objective and purpose of the Chef de Cuisine position is to oversee all daily operations of the kitchen. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet specifications and commitment to quality. They are to provide inspiring and strategic leadership while directing the activities of the Culinary Department in support of the mission, core values, standards and goals established by the company.
Areas of Responsibility
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains a file of recipes, including ingredients, portions, and directions for preparation and presentation of each dish.
- Set Standards and methods for portion control for each dish on the menu, with the perceived value factor in mind.
- Accountable for meeting budgets for food, labor and direct operating expenses as they pertain to the culinary department.
- Costing all food items and assisting the Executive Chef with monthly reports.
- Creates kitchen labor schedules that meet the Peak Performance criteria.
- Assists with the creation of seasonal, monthly, weekly & daily specials and menus
- Monitor execution procedures to ensure quality, consistency, efficiency, productivity and professionalism are at highest level.
- Conduct hands-on teaching and training in kitchen, working closely with Sous Chefs, Supervisors and cooks, as well as other staff as applicable who work in BOH, and help with food preparation and execution.
- Train and educate staff on new menu items and changes in procedures for current menu items; monitor and hold staff accountable for implementing the changes.
- Hire, coach, counsel and conduct performance evaluations for Sous Chefs, Supervisors and cooks
- Develop, train and mentor Sous Chef, Supervisors and cooks, Act as a resource to them as well as other back-of-house (BOH) personnel.
- Develop, implement and maintain sanitation practices and protocol.
- Work with management on on-going and monthly/seasonal menu development, staff training and photo shoots.
- Create and monitor kitchen inventory to include order inspections and item selection.
- Order and maintain outlet kitchen supplies at par levels to ensure quality production
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
- Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
- Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
- Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
- Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
- Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
- Advanced level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to implement and uphold service standards
- Effectively motivate associates and maintain a cohesive team
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
- Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations
- Ability to work with and understand financial information, data and basic arithmetic functions
- Ability to maintain and build relationships with existing and potential clients as well as industry contacts
- Ability to prepare wide range of culinary offerings
Supervisory and leadership responsibilities include achieving results through providing direction and accountability of the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies established by the Kessler Collection.
Performance: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
- Build loyalty to the company and not yourself
- Enhance property/company perception by both community and Grand Performers
- Align yourself with the company and lead others to do the same
- Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results across departments and property locations
- Actively participate in meetings and shares ideas to determine the right course of action
- Foster a climate where individuals are committed to partnering and asking for help when needed
- Enthusiastically share knowledge, experience and talent with others
- Suggest methods for improving productivity and product quality
- Prepared and punctual for all meetings
- Conducts business and complete tasks according to Standard Operating Procedures
- Utilize required systems, equipment and resources
- Increase revenue/productivity while keeping costs within budget
- Prioritize urgent/vital tasks in order to meet set deadlines
- Improve professional competency and property/location performance
- Accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions
- Self-aware, solicit and embrace feedback
- Communicate feedback openly and respectfully
To perform this role successfully, an individual must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Executive Chef
- Executive Sous Chef
- F&B Director
- F&B Managers
- Executive Steward
- Director of Procurement
- Property Ops Team
Education, Certifications, Work Experience:
- Culinary degree or related training equivalent in the Hospitality/Restaurant Industry - required
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title – required
- Experience within luxury brand/markets – preferred
- Food Safety Manager certification – required or attained within 30 days
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
- Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
- Must be able to work safely in a kitchen environment with high temperatures and humidity
- Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. *Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions & physical demands of this role.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to move 10lbs on a daily basis.
- Push, pull, and lift up to 50lbs on a weekly basis.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to travel by foot, car, bus, airplane or other means of transportation which require sitting, waiting and standing for long and short periods of time.