Objective / Purpose
Manages the daily kitchen utility operations and staff. Areas of responsibilities include dish room operations, night cleaning, back dock cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running. Supervises kitchen employees not actively engaged in cooking (e.g., dishwashers, kitchen helpers, etc.). Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Standards & Culture
Individuals must serve as a cultural ambassador by upholding and promoting our standards.
Image & Presence: Bohemian. Our team is sophisticated and purposeful in their communication and body language
50% Classical European, 35% Colorful Gypsy Lifestyle, 15% Funky California Free Spirit
Service: Intuitive. Our team inspires the guest (and Grand Performer) experience with warmth and deliberate elegance.
Greet, Undivided Attention, Enthusiastic Response, Smile, Thank You
Listen, Empathize & Apologize, Accept Responsibility, Do Something About it, Exceed Expectations, Recover Loyalty
Performance: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
Be Engaged:Enthusiastically share knowledge, experience and talent with others.Get involved!
Be Aligned:Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results in the Kessler way.
Be Accountable:Have courage, accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions and expect others to do the same.
Areas of Responsibility/ Tasks
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Orders and manages necessary supplies. Ensuring workers have supplies, equipment, tools, and uniforms necessary to do their jobs.
- Schedules events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
- Monitors the inflow of ordered materials and the maintenance of current materials.
- Conducts china, glass and silver inventories.
- Controls inventories of food, equipment, small wares, and liquor, and report shortages to designated personnel.
- Inspects supplies, equipment, and work areas in order to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
- Investigates reports and follows-up on employee accidents.
- Manages all equipment, china, glass and silver (e.g., adequate clean supplies of each).
- Supervises employee’s ability to follow loss prevention policies to prevent accidents and control costs.
- Enforces proper cleaning routines for service ware, equipment, floors, etc.
- Enforces proper use and cleaning of all dish room machinery.
- Ensures all food holding and transport equipment is in working order.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Provides the leadership, vision and direction to bring together and prioritize the departmental goals in a way that will be efficient and effective.
- Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees.
- Participates in the management of department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Solicits employee feedback.
- Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall property financial goals and objectives.
- Attends meetings and communicates with executive, peers, and subordinates as an effort to improve quality of service.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensures the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Recruits, interviews, selects, hires, and promotes employees in the organization.
- Trains employees in safety procedures.
- Provides feedback to individuals based on observation of service behaviors.
- Reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures utility staff is properly trained regarding sanitation, equipment handling and chemical usage.
- Participates in employee progressive discipline procedures.
An inspiring leader selects the best possible candidate for each position, provides structure, direction, feedback, recognition and accountability; in addition to facilitating team processes, on-going training and delegation for the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies.
Cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Executive Chef
- F&B Director
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities (KSA)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
Advanced level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to implement and uphold service standards
Effectively motivate associates and maintain a cohesive team
Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations
Ability to work with and understand financial information, data and basic arithmetic functions
Ability to maintain and build relationships with existing and potential clients as well as industry contacts
Education, License, Certifications, Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related training equivalent - required
5+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title – required
Experience within luxury brand/markets – required
Serv Safe food sanitation certification - required
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. *Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions & physical demands of this role.
Push, pull, and lift up to 100lbs.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to travel by foot, car or other means of transportation which require sitting, waiting and standing for long and short periods of time.