The Cardiac Management Solutions division of ZOLL Medical Corporation develops products to protect and manage cardiac patients, including the LifeVest® wearable cardioverter defibrillator (WCD), the ZOLL cardiac monitor, and associated technologies.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the U.S. At ZOLL, your work will help to ensure cardiac patients get the life-saving therapy they need. To date, the LifeVest WCD has been worn by hundreds of thousands of patients and saved thousands of lives.
ZOLL has been Pittsburgh’s Manufacturer of the Year, one of Western PA’s Healthiest Employers, and even one of Pittsburgh’s Coolest Offices. But it’s our unique opportunity to impact people’s lives that makes ZOLL the ideal place to build your career.
Lead Software Engineer responsible for the design, debug, support, technical supervision and tracking of software features implemented in the LifeVest system and utilities. Additional responsibilities include the supervision of engineers, development and maintenance of software documentation, software schedule development and providing technical support to other departments within the organization. This is an upper level lead engineering position that will work under general direction.
- Develops technical designs and specifications for products.
- Aids in making software architecture decisions.
- Makes system level architecture and complex design decisions.
- Researches and integrates design strategies, product specifications, development schedules and user expectations into product capabilities.
- Uses software development technologies and tools to build, test and maintain product modules, components and subsystems.
- Manages engineering function of complex projects.
- Provides technical advice to employees, acting in a lead capacity.
- Aids in the coordination of outside resources.
- Scopes out work, resources and time required to complete projects. Identifies and recommends efficiency improvements and schedule risk mitigations.
- Works under general direction with an expectation of minimal error rates.
- Conducts root cause failure analysis on devices.
- Conducts design studies for future generation products.
- Supports engineering and other departments on sustaining activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- Keeps up-to-date with the latest developments and technical innovations in electrical engineering.
Project management responsibilities regarding technical aspects:
- Architect software designs
- Establish and update all architecture documents as changes occur
- Scope out work, resources and time required to complete a project
- Act as technical point of contact with program/project managers
- Give real-time feedback of any identified risks to the schedule and recommend mitigations
- Oversee all technical aspects of assigned project(s)
- Act as technical point of contact for other departments
- Continually optimize team performance
- Assess current tasks are still valid
- Assess if resources assigned to task are optimal
- Keep cross functionality of team members
- Oversee compliance of the team to regulatory standards and guidance documents
- Oversee overall quality of development efforts
- Software development
- Engineering test coverage development as it pertains to the project
- Manufacturing engineering development as it pertains to the project
- Team feedback to management
- Provides input for team members yearly reviews
- Provides input for team members yearly objectives
- Provide input during future staffing planning
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
Educations and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer or electrical engineering or equivalent.
- 20+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced (10+ years) with C and or C++ , 10+ years preferred for C++
- Experienced at leading a small team of engineers (3-4)
- Extremely proficient in complex software design, troubleshooting, and testing.
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electrical design and troubleshooting, as well as systems engineering processes.
- Understanding of electrical design
- Understanding of electrical design and troubleshooting
- Understanding of systems engineering processes
- Proficient in the use of general engineering lab equipment including oscilloscopes, waveform generators, multi-meters, power supplies, etc.
- Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering
- Project management
- Systems engineering
- Medical device
- Handheld or wearable devices
- Experience with embedded systems in some or all of the following
- In-circuit emulators in embedded systems.
- Good understanding of microprocessor hardware architectures (preferably ARM).
- Embedded user interface design
- Embedded Linux development
- Software quality
- Unit testing and test automation
- IEC medical software standards or other software quality standards
- Static, dynamic code and code coverage during testing analysis
- Good code style practices
Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
ZOLL is an Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.