The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as an Associate Research Fellow (ARF)/ Research Fellow (RF) in it's Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD). This is a two (2) year, renewable, exempt appointment based at IFPRI’s Washington, DC Office.
The successful candidate will conduct research on issues related to agricultural transformation and rural-urban linkages. The Fellow will perform the research using a range of quantitative research methods, but with a strong focus on economywide computable general equilibrium (CGE) modeling conducted at country and/or subnational scales. The researcher will work with IFPRI’s Agricultural Transformation and Rural Development team to develop innovative methods for identifying policy and investment priorities to drive inclusive and sustainable development. Example innovations include risk-based approaches to evaluating policy options under climate and other uncertainty; capturing private sector behavior and interests in downstream agri-food system sectors; and enhancing survey-based microsimulation techniques to track changes in employment and household diets.
It is anticipated that about 80 percent of the job will be dedicated to applied research, and the remaining 20 percent will be allocated to capacity-building, policy engagement, and outreach activities supporting evidence-based policy analysis, particularly within IFPRI’s Country Strategy Support Programs (CSSP).
Please note that ARF appointments at IFPRI have a maximum term of three (3) years, inclusive of any approved appointment extensions. The final grade level will be determined by demonstrated experience and track record of publications.
The successful candidate will participate in a range of activities including, but not limited to:
- Conducting research evaluating agricultural and industrial policies using computable general equilibrium (CGE) models, as well as evidence derived from household surveys and econometrics-based analysis; and developing standardized approaches to incorporating growth, employment, poverty and consumer dynamics within CGE and micro-simulation models.
- Supporting efforts to strengthen the capacity of partner organizations and networks to conduct scholarly research and communicate evidence-based policy recommendations.
- Preparing project reports, research papers, presentations, and peer-reviewed journal articles in collaboration with researchers at IFPRI, and other collaborators and partners.
- Regularly communicating research outputs via policy seminars, policy briefs, and peer-reviewed publications to a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including researchers, academics, policymakers, and government officials.
- The successful candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team of researchers, and is expected to engage in a broad range of research projects and activities in all regions of operations of the Development Strategy and Governance Division.
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Applied Economics, or closely related field.
- Significant expertise in using computable general equilibrium (CGE) models to evaluate agricultural and rural development policies.
- Demonstrated capabilities in quantitative analysis and ability to use economic theory and methods in innovative and policy-relevant ways to examine agricultural development issues.
- Expertise in the use of Stata to analyze large national-level household surveys.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well both with a team and independently.
- Ability to multi-task, work in a dynamic environment, take initiatives to resolve issues and effectively work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Willingness to travel extensively (including internationally) as required.
At the Research Fellow Level:
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- 3+ years of post-PhD experience relevant to the job and demonstrated fundraising experience
- Major external recognition within peer professional network due to publications and other leaderships activities
- Demonstrated leadership skills and strong experience building and managing teams.
- Demonstrated ability to construct social accounting matrices for developing countries; and/or to conduct analysis using household survey-based econometrics.
- Relevant research experience as applied to developing country contexts in Africa, Asia, and/or Latin America.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written reports, journal articles, oral presentations, blog posts, and other forms of written and oral communications associated with scholarly research outputs