ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Digital Threat Solutions Specialist will provide strategic guidance around secure implementation of programming and will provide direct support to Internews' Security team and program staff outlining clear and pragmatic approaches to information security across specific Internews programs.
This role will assess and advise on digital security threats present due to the location(s) of project implementation, transnational concerns, and/or engagement with vulnerable or at-risk populations. In addition, this role will coordinate threat information sharing with partners and be actively engaged within the internet freedom community.
This position will serve as an organization-wide liaision between the Field Operations and Security team, Internews' Information Technology department (Technology Solutions and Services), and program teams implementing work in elevated threat environments.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC and an office in London, UK. This role may be fully remote, or partially remote for candidates based near an office location who wish to work in-office 2-3 days per week. You must have independent work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Ensure the effective, threat-responsive implementation of sensitive programs, working closely with Program Officers to provide needed technical expertise, leadership, and implementation guidance/support.
- Serve as the organizational lead and liaison across implementing, expert, and organizational service and support teams on digital threats.
- Coordinate, track, and share attack information (TTPs, IoCs) against Internews and its partners, and engage with key peers in the NGO cybersecurity and Internet Freedom communities to effectively share sensitive but relevant threat information.
- Advise the organization on programming in high or extreme risk operating environments, including during proposal decision-making and development, and fundraising, within organizational development, and highlighting considerations for programming feasibility.
- Conduct Internews' annual risk audit for global digital security risks and provide recommended changes to countries assigned digital risk ratings, including developing and updating country-specific digital threat assessments as needed.
- Understand and evaluate project-level field needs and custom implementation related to localized digital security contexts.
- Engage with the Field Operations & Security team to integrate digital security support into existing procedures/standards around physical risk assessments and plans.
- Represent Internews at conferences and events and engage with the broader human rights and information security communities, as well as funders and industry experts.
- Travel up to 20% to international field locations as requested, including to hostile environments.
- Be available after regular working hours in emergency situations.
Special Programming Support
- Work with business operations departments, Tech, and relevant program staff to optimize business processes designed to protect elevated risk programs.
- Conduct security awareness trainings and education around information security and digital threat landscapes.
- Review project-specific security plans and provide experience-based best practices in programmatic design, implementation, and response activities.
- Collaborate in the development of specialized information sharing and communications plans as needed for programming.
- Track relevant adversarial capabilities specific to Internews' programming locations that have elevated digital security threats and advise if adaptations are needed to country operations planning.
- Coordinate with Tech to evolve sensitive program protocols as needed.
- Liaise with project leads to ensure compliance with protocols by implementers and partners.
- Assess potential risks faced by partners and advise on solutions or new technology that may better support program staff and partners to mitigate those risks.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We welcome applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds related to information security, field security, and security operations in civil society, media, government, or the private sector.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in digital security planning and analysis (with an emphasis on globally distributed and diverse threats).
- Good written and spoken command of the English language.
- Ability to discuss and present technical concepts to non-technical audiences (including training).
- Knowledge of the development of security policies and procedures consistent with operations in a digitally high-risk environment.
- Experience conducting research on platforms such as VirusTotal or MISP to verify, link, or further research attack information.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
Note: Candidates who do not possess these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Significant experience in civil society threats.
- Language skills in major global languages in addition to English.
- Demonstrated understanding of information security standards such as ISO 27000 OR NIST SP 800 series.
- Strong formal and informal relationships (or willingness and ability to build such trusted relationships) with digital security networks within the Internet Freedom, Democracy and Human Rights, and other communities.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.