ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews seeks Advocacy and Public Policy Lead for the “USAID Strengthening Civil Society and Media Systems Activity (Sawt)”. Reporting directly to the Chief of Party (CoP) or the Deputy Chief of Party, as designated, the Lead is responsible for designing and implementing activities that will strengthen civil societies and digital media’s capacity and ability to have a trusted collective role in implementing advocacy campaigns and contributing to the public policy-making processes. The Lead will coordinate and drive the achievement of key governance and policy goals under Sawt and lead and oversee efforts to provide support to civil society organizations (CSOs) and/or coalitions in their efforts to advocate for specific national-level issues within their area of expertise with the aim of contributing to a positive change.
This role will be based in Jordan, Amman.
This a limited duration position, with an expected end date of March 2027.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people . Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Contributes new ideas and develops initiatives related to national level advocacy and public policy initiatives in the Jordanian context.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of independent media and civil society issues in Jordan, and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media and civil society across the region.
- Identify pressing issues of priority related to civil society and media based on evidence and design advocacy efforts that address the identified priorities.
- Maintain constructive dialogue on policy and legal issues with government stakeholders as well as civil society and media actors.
- Lead Sawt efforts in providing technical assistance to government agencies on civil society and media regulations and policies.
- Provide technical input for Grant Application Requests, Proposal Evaluation and Grantee Selection for advocacy and public policy grants.
- Support Sawt Team in efforts to build the technical capacity of CSOs engaging in advocacy and public policy efforts.
- Oversee implementation of advocacy grants, including close follow-up with grantees on advocacy strategies and deliverables.
- Any other related duties assigned by the supervisor to ensure program success.
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
- This role entails staff supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Degree in international development, law, journalism, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 7 years relevant prior experience, including 5-7 years professional experience in advocacy design and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and/or monitor advocacy strategies that support law and policy reform to create a more protective and enabling legal environment for CSOs and media.
- Proven capacity to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and communities on questions related to civil society and media laws and policies.
- Strong knowledge of Jordanian operational environment and challenges for civil society and the media.
- Experience working within or collaborating with multi-stakeholder initiatives aimed at civil society, civic engagement, and fundamental freedoms, including but not limited to initiatives that unite civil society with public and/or private sector.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government representatives, activity beneficiaries and partners, and other stakeholders.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the workplace and experience supervising diverse staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English and Arabic required.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Strong expertise in the civil society sector is an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID policies.
- Prior experience designing or implementing advocacy-related programs in Jordan is highly desired.
- Experience working with remote teams
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.