ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews Network is an international media development organization whose mission is to give people a voice and the information to empower communities. To support program implementation, and serve as a senior project representative and decisionmaker, Internews seeks a Programs Manager.
This role will be based remotely in Uzbekistan.
This is a limited-duration position, with an expected term of five years.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
Note: Hiring is contingent upon receipt of funding.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership for Internews activities related to project focal country; oversee the launch of new and implementation of existing project activities to ensure quality deliverables .
- Oversee regular monitoring and evaluation of projects to measure project impact, ensure effective implementation, and adapt plans and activities as necessary and in accordance with donor and Internews policies.
- Serve as the public face of the project in the country and primary point of contact for funders, local partners, and other stakeholders.
- As necessary, liaise and maintain working relationships with relevant government agencies.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local and regional partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Oversee preparation of reports, communications materials, and other project documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media in engaging new audiences, maintaining editorial independence and press freedoms, and ensuring sustainability.
- Ensure the projects comply with all agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the in-country projects, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the projects are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- In all duties, uphold Internews’ Core Values and demonstrate commitment to fostering a culture of Belonging, Dignity, and Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum 7 years prior relevant experience including 2-3 years of experience as a Country Director, Program Director, Program Manager, or Chief of Party with a strong reputation for developing collaborative working relationships with local counterparts and relevant state actors and agencies, international organizations, and donors.
- University degree or equivalent lived/professional experience.
- Experience in media or managing media development projects is highly desirable.
- Experience with managing projects funded by USG or foreign agencies.
- Deep understanding of the informational ecosystem and/or media sector in Central Asia.
- Demonstrated skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proven ability to manage staff and build cohesive, productive teams.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and provide ethical management.
- Experience with budgeting and financial and grants management.
- English fluency required.
- Fluency/working proficiency in Russian and Uzbek required.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Internews Network is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.