UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 414,000 customers in Southern Arizona. Although our company has been in business for more than 120 years, we continue to look for innovative ways of providing value, comfort, convenience and security to our customers every day. We’re evaluating cutting-edge energy technologies, reshaping our energy portfolio and expanding our renewable power and energy-efficiency programs. While our line of work can be challenging, it can also be rewarding. Our team of dedicated professionals values engagement, enthusiasm, innovation and collaboration.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of Student Intern in our Land Resources Department. The successful candidates will assist with identifying local, state, and federal jurisdictional and regulatory requirements, then securing related environmental and land use authorizations in support of distribution, transmission, and generation projects.
- Assists with securing environmental permits and land use authorizations required to construct and maintain distribution, transmission, and generation assets for system reinforcement, system integrity, and public improvement projects.
- Participates with other Land Resources staff to secure land rights for company projects and pursue business development opportunities.
- Develops and maintains business relationships with internal departments, jurisdictions, regulators, and other key stakeholders on behalf of the company.
- Provides planning and permitting input for right-of-way project research.
- Provides mapping and data analysis support within the Land Resources department.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's):
These KSAs are based on the job description for Environmental and Land Use Planner. Because this is an intern position, it is expected that aptitude and capabilities will be commensurate with experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with securing local, state, and federal land management environmental permits and land use authorizations.
- Knowledge of zoning and land use codes, and related permitting and licensing requirements.
- Knowledge of engineering plans and their application to company projects.
- Organizational and project management skills, including experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to build consensus and lead numerous organizations with diverse purposes toward common goals.
- Experience in project planning, design, analysis, communication and budget management.
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software.
- Experience with geographic information system (GIS) software applications.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise and comprehensive documents and reports.
- Attention to detail and strong analytical ability to gather and summarize data, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a current student pursuing a degree in Environmental Planning or related field with an expected graduation date of December 2022 or later.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week during per week during regular business hours during the school year and up to 40 hours during breaks and summer
- Fluent in software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point.
- Must be actively enrolled at an accredited college or university and maintain the required hours for full-time student status, good academic standing at their college or university, as defined by the college or university and the GPA required for graduation.