United Way of King County’s mission is to bring caring people together to give, volunteer, and take action to help people in need and solve our community's toughest challenges. Our culture fosters leadership, open communication, teamwork and collaboration, integrity, and accountability.
The VP, Finance and Operations is a member of United Way of King County’s (“UWKC”) senior leadership team and reports directly to the CEO. This position provides vision, leadership/direction, and direct oversight of UWKC's Financial Operations, Facilities, and Information Technology.
United Way of King County values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, and veterans to apply. UWKC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
The recruiting salary range is $150,500-$ 155,500 – DOE. This position is open until filled; first consideration will be given to applications received within two weeks of posting.
Protecting the health and safety of our communities is a top priority. Due to the circumstances surrounding the pandemic, all interviews will be conducted remotely for the time being. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions. If you are hired for the position, you will start off working remotely. UWKC employees are working remotely through September 13, 2021. We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation and we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with any related changes to our hiring process.
- Provides vision, strategy, leadership, policy, and direction for executing UWKC's accounting functions.
- Provides leadership, oversight, and direction for four managerial staff: Director of Information Technology, Manager Financial Support Services, Controller and Manager of Facilities.
- Oversees the creation of UWKC's annual operating and capital budgets and provides regular reporting to the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board.
- Sets goals and performance standards for the Operations team and measures team accomplishments to ensure efficiency, productivity, and accountability.
- Sets vision, goals, and performance standards for UWKC's Information Technology team and ensures hardware, software, communication, data management, and network systems are meeting the current/future needs of UWKC.
- Ensures accounting and auditing policies/systems/practices/procedures meet required professional standards. Works with external independent Auditors to ensure annual audits receive clean opinions.
- Establish and maintain highly effective and efficient internal controls to safeguard assets and accurately report financial results
- Actively manages UWKC's cash position, line of credit, and investment portfolio within approved guidelines and policies and covenant compliance.
- Oversees UWKC's facilities and real estate management programs and ensures appropriate property and related insurance coverage.
- Serves as a core member of the 403(b)-retirement committee.
- Strong commitment to UWKC’s racial equity work and demonstrated interest in social justice.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in Accounting, Finance, Auditing or a closely related field. Master’s degree in Accounting, MBA preferred; CPA is desired, though not required.
A minimum of ten years experience leading IT, Accounting/Finance, and/or other operations functions in an organization of similar size and complexity as United Way of King County.
Supervisory experience and experience providing leadership, oversight, and direction for 4 management staff.
Experience and understanding of systemic and institutional racial bias; sensitivity to issues and concerns of communities of color and other diverse groups including working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds highly desired. Deep passion for creating an inclusive and equitable work environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to provide oversight in setting a vision for IT and other operational functions
- Demonstrated ability to lead in an environment of constant change and competing priorities
- Demonstrated expertise in operating and capital budgets, accounting, and auditing procedures
- Demonstrated coaching, leadership, and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively across teams and with high-level volunteers
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with staff and high-level volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to lead and set priorities in an environment of competing interests/needs for IT and other resources.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively apply project management skills.
- Experience engaging in difficult conversations with individuals and groups around race, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Solid communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and excels at building relationships in any environment and enjoys connecting with people and diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of racial justice, cultural differences; an understanding of systemic and institutional racial bias; ability to demonstrate sensitivity to issues and concerns of communities of color and other diverse group.
- Thrives in fast-paced, generative, multiracial work environment.
JOB CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The VP, Finance and Operations is a senior level executive with responsibility for leading the Operations team which requires execution of complex decisions, often of a confidential and sensitive nature. They oversee operations functions and work with high level volunteers on matters related to finance, budget, investment, and audit. Decisions require independent judgment, tact and diplomacy and are made within the framework of consensus and policy determined by the Board of Directors, President/CEO, and the Senior Leadership Team. Errors in work could significantly impact organizational finances and potentially undermine the credibility of the organization in the community.
This job position performs other assignments and performs other duties as deemed necessary by United Way of King County. The contents of this job description may change as deemed necessary by United Way of King County.